I am a currently-serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria. The views on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Peace Corps.


Sunday, September 26, 2010

George & Alex



How come I have to tell all the stories? And, who are these kids and why are we hanging out together?

When communism ceased to control Bulgaria, a boy named George who had been running a chicken farm with over 50,000 chickens, single-handedly, applied for and got accepted into a program called 'Future Farmers of America.' He moved to Wisconsin in 1991. After working at farms in Minnesota, Pennsylvania and New York, he was ready for the city and moved to San Francisco.

Enter Brueger. Brueger, when he was only known as Poindexter, got a job at a hip bar/club in San Francisco. I would go there often, getting to know the owners and their wives, the guys at the door, Brad and Malcolm - legends for sure, and hanging out with one of the bartenders.

Go forward 12 years and I am hanging out with that bartender again, in his homeland, Bulgaria. These photos were taken in Sofia and in Sozopol and they are of the sons of George's childhood friend George. The boys' names are George and Alex. They are my friends.

If I'm in Sofia, I hang out with George and he lets me borrow books like Winnie the Pooh and The Wizard of Oz, in Bulgarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment