I am a currently-serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria. The views on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Peace Corps.


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Smart Bar, FDR, William vanden Heuvel and Louis Kahn



I met Duff in Los Angeles and had a lot of fun talking to him. He told me about recording songs for Use Your Illusions I in a studio above the Smart Bar. I asked him if he'd ever gone to the Gingerman a few doors down but he said that pretty much all he did for nine months was record music and drink at the Smart Bar every night.

This photo is of my brother and me two weeks ago at Smart Bar. I can always have fun but inevitably I'm drawn back into the solitude necessary to study and write. This evening I came across an interview with William vanden Heuvel on Charlie Rose where he talks about "the long journey of a New York memorial to Franklin Delano Roosevelt designed by the architect Louis Kahn." It's worth watching; it took place on April 20, 2010.

William vanden Heuvel reminded me of Studs Terkel: a classy guy who lives fully, taking life seriously and having fun with that interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment