I am a currently-serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria. The views on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Peace Corps.


Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Chicago, Warsaw, Nish






I left Bulgaria for the first time in a year. My destination was Chicago, to see my family. On the way there, I stopped for a few hours in Warsaw, Poland and I made great use of a layover.

I borrowed a taxi driver's cell phone, called a friend of a friend and everything was taken care of. I jumped on the bus and made my way into the center of town like I had been to Warsaw before. In some ways I have been here before. I grew up in Chicago. Everyone in Poland looks like someone I know. The girl I was going to meet had a few more hours of work and I didn't know what to do with myself because I was so excited. First I talked to everyone in H&M, then I smoked half a pack of Menthols and I am not even a smoker. I drank coffee and thought about Steve Nishimoto and how much he would love Warsaw.

Before I knew it I was in an illustrator's studio, then hanging out with Polish actors, artists and intellectuals. I watched home videos of one guy's last years Easter. He told me that the new thing is to bring out the machine after dinner and take everyone's blood pressure. checkin up on health.

I had big plans of writing on the airplane but a day and a half with only peanut M&M's in my stomach made me sleepy and I slept for about 9 hours. Wa laaaaa, I was in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment