I am a currently-serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria. The views on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Peace Corps.


Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Keep the Countryside Clean and Green


I'd been in my classroom planning lessons, writing, and then I listened to that Morrissey 'Swords' record that my brother sent me. "Teenage Dad on his Estate," is the best. I try to get students into Morrissey but they're not getting hyped yet. Having skipped lunch, my mind wasn't sharp. When I walked outside and saw the 4th graders raking up garbage, picking weeds, and cleaning up the entire playground, I thought I was seeing something that wasn't really there. I clapped and told them 'Bravo'! They responded in English, "Keep the countryside clean and green." I had them repeat that phrase at least 12 times last week. They can also say, '13,' and '30,' perfectly. That took me saying a lot of 'Thhhhhhhhhhhhhh's,' and eventually drooling on myself but now they know it isn't 'terteen and terty.' Morrissey has to happen on his own though. All I can do is plant the seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment