I am a currently-serving Peace Corps Volunteer in Bulgaria. The views on this blog do not necessarily reflect the views of the Peace Corps.


Thursday, May 13, 2010

Greg Core & Scott Bourne




After waiting in Paris for over a week because of the ash in the clouds, then having to fly elsewhere to fulfill work-related obligations, my dear friends, Craig & Scott, made it to the village. My first visitors from way far away. Really though, they stay as close as friends can stay. We send letters and pictures to one another from wherever we are. And, while we can all be very social, there is a recluse inside each of us. Maybe we have the same recluse living inside of us and he keeps us close.

We're all bookworms and very eager to listen and learn. By the end of their stay, Craig was saying 'Hello,' and 'Thank you,' to everyone in Bulgarian.

I am the first American to come to the village. It took a while for me to find my way here. People think I am very strange because I talk to everyone, hang out everywhere, and am never able to sit still (this is the opposite of everyone else). In walk two other foreigners and somehow everyone loved them. Whereas people might not ask me certain questions, with three of us, nothing was off limits.

These guys are world-travelers and they knew how to act in every situation, starting off with flying into Bulgaria, not being greeted, and finding their way, by bus, to a village 7 and a half hours from the airport. Unlike fish, after three days, they didn't stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment